Hi guys! I’m writing this as I’m sitting next to my new baby!!! I can’t believe FORD is here… well, I guess I can as I was pregnant 40+ weeks! LOL I will be sharing his birth story soon. If you are a newly pregnant mama, make sure to check out my two previous pregnancy posts, first trimester and second trimester.
Today I want to discuss my journey through the last 3 months of my pregnancy. Please note, some of the things I did will be redundant from my second trimester post: i.e. supplements.
I’m happy to say, overall my pregnancy was good. In my third trimester I had decent energy, stayed active, ate healthy and did A LOT of preparation for my birthing time and baby. Not gonna lie, once 9 months hit, around 37 weeks, I was feeling pretty uncomfortable. He was sitting on my sciatica nerve, which is pretty common, and growing every day! I would look at Luke daily and say, “how am I going to get bigger!?” Literally I felt like my belly was going to pop, but somehow, my body did it! And with not once stretch mark… I used this oil multiple time a day. It is amazing! After being pregnant, I have such a deeper appreciation for my body and what it can do. I mean, I grew a human!! If you’re feeling this way, don’t worry, it’s totally normal. You can do it! Take it a day at a time.
Below I detail what I did during my third trimester. Please leave a comment with any questions you may have. I’m happy to help!
Hypnobabies – Hypnobabies is a 6 week complete childbirth education course, covering nutrition, prenatal exercise, staying healthy and low risk, birth plans, comfort in pregnancy, new baby care and more. Luke and I decided to do this class starting in my third trimester. It was the best thing we did to prepare for birth. Not only did it provide all of the tools/information listed above, but also created space in my daily routine leading up to having him, for hypnosis. The tracks helped prepare my mind and body for birth. It re-trained my brain to think about my birthing time in positive light, changing the language around having a child – i.e. “birthing time” rather than “labor”, “pressure waves” instead of “contractions”. The tracks also helped to relax my body and prepare it for the physical experience it was going to have – a lot of deep breathing and visualization. We are so conditioned in our society to view birth in an overly bright environment, hooked up to machines, with the mom in an enormous about of pain, screaming, sweating and basically out of her mind. I did NOT want this experience and this is why I chose to take the Hynobabies class. Note, many women utilize this program for hospital and home births. It allowed me to take control of my birthing experience.
Midwife – Since I was having a home birth I saw my midwife every other week in the beginning of my 7th month of pregnancy, and every week in the last month. Each sessions she would check my urine, blood pressure, heart rate – all of the typical MD examinations, combined with body work to make sure my pelvis/hips were aligned in the most optimal position for birth. She also examined baby’s positioning and heart rate as well as discussed items that needed to be addressed post postpartum: vitamin K, circumcision, breast feeding, food preparation, physical care for mom and more. The about of information I received from her was so helpful in feeling comfortable for baby Ford’s arrival. I don’t know what I would have done without her. I’m forever grateful for my midwife and happy I decided to go down the path of having a home birth. I will be sharing his birth story on the blog soon.
Exercise – I was able to continue to workout through my 7th and 8th month. I mostly did the stationary bike, elliptical, yoga and stretching. My final month, the baby was sitting on my sciatica nerve so it was very hard for me to move. It’s a common thing, so if it happens to you, don’t panic. My midwife and massage therapist were able to adjust my body to alleviate some of the discomfort. As soon as he came out the pressure was gone!
Massage/Body Work – Mamas, remember you need to take care of your body! Getting a message 2-4 times a months really helped me to relax and help my body feel better as the baby continued to grow. It was one of the best things I did! Luckily I found someone in town that specialized in prenatal massage.
3rd Trimester To Dos
Nursery – It’s time to get your nursery setup! Yay! Y’all know this was one of my favorite things to do as I am obsessed with home interiors. I starting by selecting a gender neutral theme – farmhouse. Surprise, surprise! 😉 I have a dedicated blog post for the space – check it out here.
Maternity Pics – I know some women don’t feel the best when pregnant, but I think we are beautiful! It is incredible what our bodies can do. I did not want to pass up on capturing this moment in my life. Luke and I did a session outside in nature and one inside showing off more of my bare belly. Both are lovely and I will cherish them forever! Scroll down to see some of our pictures.
Hospital Bag – I included this as most women have hospital births. I however did not so I can’t speak to what you need to pack.
First Month Postpartum Plan – It’s important to think about the first months in regards to family, visitors, hired help, food preparation, sleeping setup and mom care. Everyone is different in what they want, so do what works for you and your family. I’ll be sharing what we ended up doing on my 4th trimester blog post – stay tuned! (still in the middle of it)
Postpartum Food Prep
Food prep is a big part of the first month plan. It is SO important to have warm foods ready to eat for mom. I’d steer clear of raw foods that are harder for your body to digest. This is a time of healing for the women’s body and feeding it healthy meals is very helpful. I suggest having enough food for the first 2 weeks, and making meals that you can freeze. Trust me, you’ll have ZERO energy to cook, and having meals to easily thaw was a life saver! Your food prep paired with family/friends bringing over meals should last you the first month. Below I’ve listed what I made and snack ideas.
1. Zoe Organics Belly Oil – I first tried a few balms and they were breaking out my tummy and chest area with little red bumps. I then switched to the Zoe Organics oil and I love it! I lather it on morning and night and anytime I feel a bit dry and/or itchy. Your skin is stretching, so don’t be shy with the oils!
2. Belly Bandit Band – A girlfriend of mine told me about this magical band. As you grow, the weight on your front side can take a toll on your lower back and put pressure on your bladder. As my bump has started to get bigger… and bigger, I’ve worn this band during the day. GOOD news, it also is designed with an ice pack pocket for your lower back area. In my third trimester, I’ve used this ALL THE TIME! This band is definitely worth it!
3. Boppy Pregnancy Pillow – So I’ve tried a few and come to find out, I do NOT prefer the Snoogle body pillow everyone raves about. It is massive and not comfortable for me. I switched to a smaller pillow to support my lower back and belly as I sleep on my side. I put a standard pillow in between my knees to balance my hips and continue to use my silk tempurpedic beauty for my head. Ya, it’s definitely a situation in my bed, but totally worth it! Being comfortable while sleeping is SO important for mom.
4. Thorne Prenatal – Throughout pregnancy it is recommended to take a prenatal. As I discussed in my first trimester post, I was so nauseated that I couldn’t keep a pill down. I had to cave and take gummies. Since feeling 99% better in my second trimester, I switched back to a prenatal vitamin. I found the Thorne brand I am currently taking from a podcast with Dr. Rhonda Patrick. She discusses her pregnancy and a lot of supplements. If you’re interested in having a listen, check it out here.
5. Magnesium Calm – It’s said a deficiency in magnesium during pregnancy may cause increased risk of hypertension and premature labor. I take a powder called, Calm Magnesium, every evening mixing it with warm water. It relaxes my mind, helps me sleep and stay regular. Ya, maybe TMI for some, but during pregnancy constipation is an issue! I haven’t had any problems thanks to my diet and magnesium.
6. Motherhood Maternity Bras – When I first found out I was pregnant, by boobs were outta control! They had already grown an entire cup size, and not gonna lie, they ached realllll bad. I needed some to support these babies ASAP! No lace bralets were in my future! LOL I enlisted all of you via my Instagram story to see what brands y’all liked. I tried a few standouts and found, the seamless nursing bras from Motherhood Maternity were the winners! No underwire, with all of the stretch required for my growing tatas. Since they are nursing bras, I can also use them once the baby arrives. A win-win!
7. Pink Underwear – If you’ve been pregnant or are, you know how important undergarments are. Comfort is key and my favorite thongs a la Pink are perfection. The material is uber stretchy and I love the thick band that sits on your hips. These are a great option as you grow.
8. BLANQI Leggings – Stretchy clothes for the bump while preggers is essential. Support is also important as your belly grows. I found that not only were these leggings perfect for everyday comfort, but they were designed with over-the-belly support and a built-in anchor to lift and redistribute weight. The back also has X-shaped support that reduces lower back pressure. YES please!
9. One Love Organics Face Wash – I’m obsessed with skincare and finding pregnancy friendly products that I liked, took a minute. The cleansing oil I’m loving is organic, clean and smells delishhhh! I think it’s so important to be using safe products while you’re expecting and I think y’all will love this! If you’re interested in more of my favorite pregnancy-safe products check out these posts: morning routine, nighttime routine, top 5 acne products.
10. One Love Organics Face Mask – A little self-care is much needed when you’re not feeling so hot. Each week I’ve done masks to look and feel good. My favorite one is a charcoal mask from the same line as the face wash I’m using. This mask is great for more acne-prone skin and that means GREAT while your hormones are outta wack.
Athletic Greens – I took this all-in-one supplement prior to becoming pregnant and continued once I found out I was expecting. It is essentially a powder mixture of 75 ingredients of real food, plus probiotics and digestive enzymes to help your body absorb and synthesize. I take it every morning by stirring it up with a glass of water. Find out more about the ingredients here.
Prenatal – Throughout pregnancy it is recommended to take a prenatal. As I discussed in my first trimester post, I was so nauseated that I couldn’t keep a pill down. I had to cave and take gummies. Since feeling 99% better in my second trimester, I could finally keep prenatal vitamins down. I found the Thorne brand I am currently taking from listening to a podcast with Dr. Rhonda Patrick. She discusses her pregnancy and a lot of supplements. If you’re interested in having a listen, check it out here.
Fish Oils – I take this as most humans don’t get enough omega-3s (EPA & DHA) in their diet. Research has confirmed that adding EPA and DHA to the diet during pregnancy has a positive effect on visual and cognitive development of the baby. Studies have also shown that higher consumption of omega-3s may reduce the risk of allergies in infants. Increased intake of fish oils has been shown to prevent pre-term labor and delivery, lower the risk of preeclampsia, and may increase birth weight. All great things for mama and baby! Along with my prenatal, I also get my Fish Oil with Super EPA from Thorne. FYI – about two weeks before birth, I stopped taking fish oils as they thin the blood.
Vitamin D – This is not only good for the mama’s own personal health, helping with supporting immune function, healthy cell division, and bone health, but it’s also important for bone development of baby. I take this vitamin D supplement.
Magnesium – It’s said a deficiency in magnesium during pregnancy may cause increased risk of hypertension and premature labor. I take a powder called, Calm Magnesium, every evening mixing it with warm water. It relaxes my mind, helps me sleep and stay regular. Ya, maybe TMI for some, but during pregnancy constipation is an issue! I haven’t had any problems thanks to my diet and magnesium.
Pregnancy Tea – My midwife gave my a homemade blended tea that I take every day. The purpose of it is to prepare my uterus for labor and lessen the bleeding. I can’t recommend a specific one as I haven’t tried any but it’s worth looking into if you’re curious.
Wives Tales to Induce Pregnancy
At about 38 weeks, I was like ok baby, I’m ready! When that happened, I went on my Instagram Story to ask y’all how to get the baby out! I did everything below and he finally came 3 weeks later. Not sure if anything worked but hey, it was worth a try!! LOL
BEAUTY // Hey, babes! I know many of y’all are home like me, so why not start your day with a little self-care!! Today on SBKliving.com I’m sharing my updated morning skincare routine including one of my favorite new products! #ad It all starts with washing your face and I’m love the Clarifying Cleansing Foam a la @CleDePeauBeauteUS Not only does it leave my face feeling smooth but it also has a magic ingredient called, Illuminating Complex EX. This is a powerful complex that helps to protect skin’s future with unique moisturizing and retexturing ingredients. I’m here for it! Head over to the blog to see my entire routine as I walk you through each product. I’ve also linked everything over on the @liketoknow.it app. Download it and follow me “sbkliving” for details." #liketkit #LTKbeauty #skincare #morningroutine #skin #selfcare // http://liketk.it/2M5Wi...
H O M E // That morning light tho✨ Love how my CLOFFICE is coming together!! Thanks to y’all for naming it😜 Today my round marble table is 30% off at only $384!! It’s actually a dining room table but I’m using it as a desk - either way, she’s a beauty!!🤩 Love the gold base and mixing it with neutral velvet chairs, a sheepskin rug (on sale) and the prettiest chandelier in allllll of the land!! Shop this #sbkliving space over on the @liketoknow.it app including my fave computer case!👩🏻💻 Download the app and follow me “sbkliving” for deets. #homeoffice #office #home #decor #diningroom #table #chairs #liketkit #LTKhome #LTKsalealert #LTKstyletip // @liketoknow.it.home http://liketk.it/2M0xy...
H O M E // Dining room deets!😍 Farmhouse X dining table, black chairs and a natural chevron jute rug!!✔️✔️✔️ All on SALE!🙌🏻 Love how it has turned out so far!! The gray wash finish is💯 Time to go eat dinner! We are doing a little taco Tuesday night!🌮🌮 What are y’all whipping up?? Shop this #sbkliving space over on the @liketoknow.it app! Download it and follow me “sbkliving” for links!🙋🏻♀️ #diningroom #table #rug #chairs #farmhouse #home #decor #liketkit #LTKhome #LTKsalealert #LTKstyletip // @liketoknow.it.home http://liketk.it/2LYwf...
H O M E // I’ve been spending A LOT of time in our sitting room and loving it!!🙋🏻♀️ I watched the snow fall this morning and caught up on emails. Next on my to do list, ordering new PICTURES for the house!! Gotta put some of baby Ford up!!👶🏼❤️ I’ll be sharing where I order my prints over on my story. Trying to get through the things I’ve been meaning to do foreverrrrr during quarantine! What are y’all doing?? Sharing this space and my fave picture frames (on sale!!) over on the @liketoknow.it app! Click the link in my bio or download the app and follow me “sbkliving” for links!🙋🏻♀️ #livingroom #rug #console #chairs #home #decor #sbkliving #liketkit #LTKhome #LTKstyletip #LTKunder100 // @liketoknow.it.home http://liketk.it/2LYtV...
I N T E R I O R S // Home sweet home🏠❤️ Love how the living room turned out thanks to my new braided RUG (30% off) and neutral sectional (20% off)!! Both great foundation pieces for a room and on major SALE today!! I’ll be giving y’all a closer look over on today’s story🙋🏻♀️ For those of you asking about my couch fabric and color... it is👇🏻 Deco Weave, Stone!!🛋 Shop this #sbkliving space over on the @liketoknow.it app! Click the link in my BIO or download the app and follow moi “sbkliving” for links!!🏠 #livingroom #cozyhome #home #decor #sofa #rug #sectional #pillows #couch #poufs #liketkit #LTKhome #LTKsalealert #LTKunder100 // @liketoknow.it.home http://liketk.it/2LVnu...
O R G // Getting my bathroom drawers and counters right and tiiiiiight!💁🏻♀️ Sharing how And what I use to ORGANIZE this space over on SBKliving.com👩🏻💻 Spring/quarantine org is in full effect!!😜 Might as well cleanse every nook and cranny while we are all stuck in our homes!🏠 Also check out my ORGANIZATION section on the blog under HOME! I have posts on pantry, beauty, closet, jewelry and now bathroom org!!🙋🏻♀️ I’ve linked everything I used including my new light fixtures, mirrors, faucets and pulls over on the @liketoknow.it app! Download it and follow moi “sbkliving” for links! #bathroom #organization #organizers #home #decor #fixerupper #liketkit #LTKspring #LTKhome #LTKunder50 #springcleaning // @liketoknow.it.home http://liketk.it/2LU1q...