Healthy Turkey Chili Recipe
What’s the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about football food (other than wings), CHILI! Many of the food items at Super Bowl parties can be heavy, so why not change it up with a flavorful and HEALTHY option. I’ve made many chilis over the years – vegan, vegetarian, meat-heavy, etc. I put together a Paleo-friendly version with all of my favorite vegetables, spices and turkey meat. It’s very easy to sub items in chilis and have them still turn out delicious – i.e. beef instead of turkey. Make what YOU like.
See below for all of the ingredients and step-by-step instructions. It’s SUPER easy, essentially cooking the garlic, onions and meat and then combining the rest of the ingredients into a good ole crock-pot. Viola, 5 hours later you’ve got a NOM NOM Chili! Note, if you don’t have a crock-pot/slow cooker, you can always use a dutch oven… BUT y’all should really have one, they’re amazing. Here’s a link to my fave CROCK-POT! This is also a great dish to make in advance – chili is easy to freeze and bring out the day of your party.
1.5 lbs. ground turkey (or beef)
1 onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 peppers (red, orange and yellow), diced
1 sweet potato, diced
5 large carrots, diced
1/2 jalapeño, diced
1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
3 Tbsp. of chili powder
1 Tbsp. of oregano
1 Tbsp. of basil
2 tsp. of cumin
1 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. of pepper
1/4 – 1/2 tsp. of cayenne (depends on how spicy you want it)
1. Sauté onions and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add in ground turkey (or beef) to saucepan and cook until browned. Drain excess fat.
3. Transfer the cooked onions, garlic and meat mixture to your crockpot.
4. Add all of the vegetables and spices to the crockpot (NOT garnishes).
5. Stir the crockpot until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
6. Set the crockpot on LOW, cover and cook for 5 hours.
7. Once cooked, serve in individual bowls and garnish with the goodies of your choice – cilantro, lime, cheese, tortilla chips, avo, etc.