We are in the middle of winter in the Idaho mountains and the thing I crave most is soup. It’s currently snowing as I write this, and I thought it would be the perfect time to share! I took a classic tomato, and put a healthy twist on it. No heavy cream but instead, I use coconut milk. It tastes SO creamy and fresh!
I’ve made this recipe VERY easy to make as I use organic canned tomatoes, saving a lot of time during prep.
I love to pair a rocket salad (arugula) and mini grilled cheese with the soup for the perfect comfort meal. See below for the list of ingredients and steps to make. Enjoy!
*I use organic when I can
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlics
1 yellow onion diced
1-2 teaspoons of sea salt
1 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
garnishes – shredded parmesan & chopped basil
1. Cook olive oil, minced garlic and chopped onion over medium heat in a dutch oven (or large pot). Sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Add fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and balsamic vinegar to the dutch oven and mix. Season with sea salt to taste. Simmer soup for 30 minutes.
3. Transfer soup to a blender and blend on low. Add fresh basil and blend again.
4. Pour soup back into the dutch oven and stir in the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Divide into four bowls and garnish with shredded parmesan and chopped basil (optional).