Healthy Taco Salad Recipe Details
Hey, y’all! Who’s hungry? Today I’m sharing one of my most favorite go-to healthy meals!
About three years ago I decided to do a clean November, meaning no alcohol paired with going fully paleo. I wanted to see how my body felt. Needless to say, I had more energy than every before, didn’t feel hungry all the time and realized I could eat things I really enjoyed that had no grain. Now I’m Paleo about 85% of the time, cooking at least 5 meals a week at home. I wanted to ensure I was making me and my fam the healthiest of meals, so I started to experiment in the kitchen… like, A LOT, to see what I liked! If I’m not eating grain and dairy the majority of the time, I was on a mission to create meals with a whole bunch of flavor. This Healthy Taco Salad is one of my favorites I created a few years ago!
Over the past few weeks I’ve shared two of my go-to recipes that I use multiple times a week in meals – Lemon Dressing and Cauliflower Rice. Now that you have all the deets we can make an entire meal! Woohoo!
Ok boos, let’s get to cooking! Please note this recipe can be easily made Vegetarian. Omit the meat and perhaps substitute roasted squash and peppers. Make sure to sub out the chicken broth in the Cauliflower Rice recipe for veg broth. Viola, you have a great veg options.
I’m aware that most Mexican dishes have rice and beans, SO what do we substitute? I’ve found cauliflower rice being the BEST alternative without sacrificing flavor. I actually prefer it to rice now! Ya I may be cray, but it is truly delicious! I tend to stay away from beans as they are not easy for my bod to breakdown. I’d rather through in more veggies. Depending on you food restrictions and preferences, add in your favorite toppings to the salad – cheese, chips (corn or grain-free), sour cream, etc. BUT please be aware, it may not be as “healthy” once you do 😉 The salad as I’ve made it here, is full of flavor – give it a go!
This recipes takes about 30 minutes of prep and cooking time. It’s fast, easy and full of flavor! Trust me, your tummy will thank you! See below for ingredients and steps to making the salad. Enjoy!
(makes 4 servings)
Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegetarian (omit beef)
1. 2 heads of romaine lettuce chopped
2. Lemon Dressing (recipe here)
3. Mexican cauliflower rice (recipe here)
4. 1 lb of grass feed ground beef (opt for ground turkey if you prefer)
5. 2 cup of salsa
6. 1 avocado sliced
7. 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
8. 1 lime
9. 1/2 cup of cilantro (optional)
1. Clean romaine lettuce, chop and set aside in a bowl.
2. Cook cauliflower rice.
3. While cauliflower rice is cooking, place ground beef into pan with one cup of salsa. Cook on medium heat until slightly pink in the middle.
4. Drain excess liquid from meat pan.
5. Now that the cauliflower rice and meat is made, toss salad dressing with romaine lettuce.
6. Let’s build the bowl! Place romaine in first and then add the following: cauliflower rice, ground meat, avocado, cherry tomatoes, salsa, lime slice and cilantro. See step-by-step image below!
7. Depending on your food restrictions, you could also add some tortilla chips and/or grain-free chips (Siete are my favorite)!
Let’s Build A Taco Salad!