Happy Saturday, y’all! Anyone hungry?? One of my most favorite things to do on the weekends is make brunch with Luke. Since I’m preggers, I’ve been craving very carb heavy meals. Surprise, surprise 😉 With that said, I’ve been creating more recipes that are grain-free yet taste delicious. This way I can continue to eat my way through the days but in a “healthier” way! lol
These waffles turned out A-mazing! Full of flavor, with just the right amount of sweetness. The eggs, coconut oil, honey and almond butter combo give the waffles the moist inside I was looking for. NO dryness happening over here! I topped off these beauties with my favorite berries and warmed almond butter. I would steer clear of maple syrup if you are wanting the waffles to be “healthy”. Even though syrup is delicious, it’s unfortunately packed with enormous amounts of sugar!!
My husband wanted me to let y’all know that these are “Luke approved” 🙂 So that means they’re V good! Right?! lol
See below for all ingredients and steps to make these nom nom grain-free waffles! Leave a comment with any questions. Enjoy!
(makes 2 large waffles or 8 pieces)
paleo & gluten free
3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons natural creamy almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
Toppings – melted almond butter & fresh berries
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, melted coconut oil, honey, almond butter and vanilla.
2. Add almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to the wet mixture. Combine everything evenly.
3. Heat waffle iron. I love mine – check it out here!
4. Grease the waffle iron with cooking spray (I like avocado), coconut oil, ghee or whatever you like.
5. Scoop 1/2 of batter (about 1/2 C) in the center of the heated waffle iron and shut. Note: some irons have censors that go off when it is fully cooked. I don’t rely on this but rather let it sit for about 30 sec to 1 min, and check waffle. I do this a few times until fully cooked. You want the waffle to be golden to dark brown on the outside for optimum outside crunch and a moist inside!
6. Top the waffle with almond butter and your favorite berries. Depending on how you store you almond butter, you may need to heat it in the microwave for about 20 seconds in order to drizzle over the waffle. I keep mine in the refrigerator so I have to do this.
Note: these are great to save for the week in the refrigerator. Grab a piece as a snack if you’re on the go. Since I’m pregnant, I do this ALL the time!