Boy oh boy, do I have a new yummy salad for y’all! It is SO tasty, healthy and easy to make! I love a crunchy salad and this does not disappoint with two types of cabbage and carrots. AND yes, I am all about adding quinoa to a salad. It makes it feel more hearty and is packed full of protein! Mix it up with a yummy sesame ginger dressing and it’s chef’s kiss!
I typically make this salad for dinner and add a protein on top like salmon or flank steak. This is also a meal the entire family can enjoy. For my toddlers I pull out avocado, edamame and quinoa. They love it! Added bonus, this recipe is gluten free.
See below for the ingredient list and steps to make. Enjoy!
1/2 red cabbage chopped
1/2 green cabbage chopped
1 cup quinoa cooked
3 large carrots peeled & sliced
1/2 large english cucumber diced
1 avocado diced
1 bag edamame
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
2 green onion chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon tamari
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
½ teaspoon ground ginger
2 garlic cloves minced
Cracked black pepper
1. Cook quinoa. Follow instruction on packaging. Note: I cook in chicken broth rather than water for more flavor.
2. Heat up frozen edamame. Follow instructions on the bag. Note: I place mine in water and heat using a microwave.
3. While quinoa cooks, cut up all of your remaining salad ingredients.
4. Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
5. Place all salad ingredients into a large bowl: cabbages, carrots, avocado, edamame, cilantro, green onion and quinoa. Note: you can have the quinoa warm or cold (cooked prior).
6. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Enjoy!