Happy Monday, guys! This morning I have been busy prepping the week’s meals and finishing up this healthy recipe post for y’all.
I’ve been making spaghetti squash on the reg for the past 3+ years. I discovered it when I became Paleo and began trying out different grain substitutes. It’s by far, one of the best options! My husband Luke will tell you that this specific meal, is one of his favorites. We love Italian food but not the heavy carbs and high calories that come along with it. This is why I created the Healthy Italian Spaghetti Squash Bowl. Oh, and more great news, it’s SO easy to make!
I prefer red sauces so I whipped up a veggie filled simple marinara sauce to pair with my grain-free “pasta” and ground grass fed meat. Feel free to use ground turkey and/or no meat if you’d prefer the meal to be vegetarian. Trust me, it will still be delish. This recipe is fresh and healthy AF!
Alrighty then, let’s get to it…
(makes 4 servings)
1 spaghetti squash halved and scooped out
1 lb of ground grass-fed beef
1 jar of tomato sauce
1 cup of diced onions
2 minced garlic cloves
1 cup of diced red pepper
1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
1 bunch of chopped basil
1/2 cup of shaved parmesan
1-3 Tbsp of olive oil
1. Roast the spaghetti squash. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon (similar to a pumpkin). Brush the inside with olive oil (1-2 Tbsp) and season with salt/pepper. Place squash cut-side down on a baking sheet and put it in the oven. Roast for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and fork tender – see my image below.
2. While squash is roasting chop up all veggies: onion, pepper, tomatoes, basil.
3. Place onions, garlic and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté until lightly browned and onions are translucent.
4. Add peppers to onion mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Pour tomato sauce into sauce pan. Mix and cook for about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Cook ground meat on skillet – season with salt and pepper. Note: I used grass fed beef but you could also use ground turkey.
7. Take spaghetti squash out of the oven when it’s finished roasting. Once slightly cooled, flip flesh-side up and use a fork to scrap out the stringed squash.
8. Place about one cup of spaghetti squash at the bottom of a serving bowl. Layer on 1/4 of marinara sauce and ground meat. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cherry tomatoes, shaved parmesan and basil on top.
Enjoy! As always leave a comment with any questions.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
I don’t see it in your list of ingredients,. How much meat are you using?
OH, that would help! lol I just updated the ingredient list. 1 lb of meat. Sorry about that! xo