I’m all about a big ole’ salad and especially as the weather starts to warm up (finally here in Idaho 😉 )!! This is probably one of my favorite recipes to date. I am a big lover of Mexican food and today I put my healthy twist on a taco salad. I made this last week and Luke could not stop eating it! Think turkey chopped salad.
This recipe is grain free because of the chips I use (Siete) however if you choose regular corn tortilla chips, it will still be gluten free. In this recipe I opted for tomato cauliflower rice. Such an easy sub to standard rice and a lot better for you. My turkey taco salad is packed full of protein and healthy fats! Get ready y’all, it’s BOMB!
See below for a list of ingredients and steps to make.
*serves 2-4 \ I use organic when I can
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet onion chopped
1 pound ground turkey
salt and pepper to taste
taco seasoning (optional)
3 heads romaine lettuce rinsed and finely chopped
1 can (15oz) black beans rinsed
1 bag frozen cauliflower rice
1/3 cup tomato sauce – Thrive brand
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
1 avocado diced
1 bag tortilla chips – Siete Dip Chips (grain free)
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
*optional – 2 limes quartered to squeeze over salad
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon juiced
2 tablespoons dijon mustard – Maille is my preferred mustard 🙂
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon honey
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Place olive oil and chopped onion into a skillet over medium heat. Cook until onion are translucent. Add ground turkey. While the meat cooks, season to taste. I use a taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Once fully cooked, set aside.
2. Cook frozen cauliflower rice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato sauce and season with salt. Cook until warmed up. About. 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
3. Whisk together all dressing ingredients.
4. Make sure to rinse your black beans thoroughly. Heat up (if preferred). I usually warm them – better for digestion.
5. Put finely chopped romaine into a large salad bowl. Place all ingredients on top: ground turkey mix, cauliflower rice, black beans, avocado, cheese, cilantro. Put chips around the perimeter of the bowl.
6. Toss salad with dressing a serve in individual bowls. Squeeze a quarter of a lime on top if preferred. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *