Hello, 2019!! I don’t know about y’all but I’m ready for it. 2018 was a great year of A LOT of change and go, go, go! Luke and I traveled to 8 countries, finished our modern farmhouse, moved from the hustle and bustle of LA to the small town of Sun Valley, ID and launched our new business, boozie! What a year it’s been!!
I will say after a crazy 2018 and moving to a much calmer environment, I’m ready for a bit more balance and slower pace. Y’all may think I’m an extravert, but I’m a true introvert needing a lot of time to myself to recharge. One of the ways I do this is with my morning routine. I wrote all about how I was stuck in 2016 and the steps I took in ’17 to “wake up”. Check out the post here. This is when I started to realized the moments I needed to carve out for myself.
I give myself at least 10 minutes in the morning for my 5 step routine. If you can’t allow yourself this time, something is clearly wrong. Maybe wake up 15 minutes early or figure out how to reprioritize a few things upon waking up. The 5 items I do each day are very important for my mind, body and spirit. I find it a great way to start the morning, set an intention and ultimately have a more joyful experience that day. Below I will explain each. Enjoy!
1. Lemon Water – This is one of the best things to do for your digestion. It gets everything movin’ if ya know what I mean. 😉 Lemon water also helps with the pH levels of your body and is a great source of vitamin C. Check, check and check!! This is the first thing I put in my body when I wake up. I cut a lemon in half. I then take one of the two haves and use a squeezer to juice lemon into 8 oz of warm water. If you’d like hotter water, heat up the water first.
2. Athletic Greens – The all-in-one supplement is the ultimate daily nutrition powder with 75 whole food ingredients – sign me up! Oh, and it doesn’t taste like SH*T… really, it doesn’t!! If I were to describe the flavor it would be apples mixed with a bit of greens. It’s totally drinkable, y’all! If you have a hard time remembering to take your vitamins or you’re not a fan of swallowing pills, this is a great option for you. Athletic Greens supports energy, immune system, gut health, liver function, hormone function, brain & neural function, body’s normal detox process and blood sugar levels. It has no GMO’s, herbicides, pesticides, artificial colors, flavor or sweeteners. Y’all see why I take it? 🙂 . After drinking my lemon water, I scoop one spoonful of the green power into 8 ounces of water and stir. By the time I’ve had my lemon water and Athletic greens, I’ve already started the day with two glasses of water! Hydration station!!
3. Affirmations: Words From a Wanderer – I am currently using this book for my daily affirmation and reflection. I share it on my Instagram story all the time and I know y’all are fans too! I was given it as a gift by a good friend in 2018. I decided to each morning, flip to a random page, read the affirmation, take a minute to reflect, write down the date and notes. I want the universe to serve up what I need in that moment. This is why I don’t do the affirmations in order. I have LOVED this part of my day and look forward to it each morning. Sometimes the affirmations are good reminders and sometimes great life lessons I need to work on. Waking up my emotional soul and mind in the morning is SO important. I make a conscious effort each day to live in the moment, in my feelings and experience life to the fullest. I don’t want to just go through the motions. I’ve done that WAY too much in my younger life. Remember you can always give yourself affirmations in the morning too – it could literally be the same thing every morning. For example: “I am worth it. I am present. I am love.” Whatever works for you, DO it! Trust me, your soul will thank you!
4. Journaling: The Five-Minute Journal – Writing down words of gratitude, intentions, goals, feelings, etc. is something I’ve been doing throughout my life. I’ve always found journaling to be very therapeutic. I came across this book last month and bought it with the intent to start in 2019. I did on January 1st. The journal is exactly what it says, 5 minutes to reflect and write a few things down in the morning and evening. It also guides you so you don’t need to come up with what to write. It’s quick, easy and a great way to start the day.
5. Coffee – Now that you’ve hydrated, fueled your body with a bunch of nutrients, reflected and set your intention for the day, it’s time for coffee!! OR, tea it that’s what you prefer. I don’t make coffee until the end of my steps. Why you ask?? I’m allowing my body time to digest what I just put in it as well as giving my cortisol levels time to come down after waking up. If you have anxiety like me, it is sometimes triggered by hormones and caffeine. It has really helped to listen to my body and have coffee a bit later in the morning. It’s more about the flavor for me than the caffeine itself. I started to notice how good I feel when taking Athletic Greens and how much natural energy I get. I’m not as strict about needing caffeine. I usually make ONE cup of coffee in my magical Nespresso. I then steam unsweetened vanilla almond milk to top it off. #nomnom
Once I’m done with my 5 step morning routine, I get on my computer and usually write a blog post (like I am right now) and check emails. I wait at least ONE hour before checking social media. I think it’s very important to have tech free time and I love it in the morning!
I hope this helps y’all and please comment below with any questions.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Loveeee it all!!! Going to start doing some of these stating next wk! And def getting mason jars for my water and lemon!
So glad to hear! You’ll love it! All about mason jars for glasses 😉